Thursday, September 8, 2011

Sigh. No more babies.

Putting my maternity clothes in a donation box was one of the more depressing aspects of this whole deal. Although I did keep one maternity sweater that Matt gave me for Christmas last year. I was keeping the good stuff around (jeans, shirts) because I thought we would have at least one more child in a couple of years (and I was even kind of hoping for another round of two under two!). But, alas, no more babies for me. I'm just so thankful we did have two so close together. Not only for my sake but also for Noah and Chloe's sake. They will always have each other to lean on. Words can't even express how thankful I am that I convinced Matt to start trying when we did. =) And had we decided not to, it would have been delayed even further because he got laid off when I was very early... and even though he was hired back, that might have scared him from having another so soon just in case it happened again! :O Some things just work out.

My co-workers took me out to lunch today. Tomorrow is my last day at work. :( I wanted to go somewhere that had Southern food and we went to a great restaurant that I had been to once before with them. So yummy! I had some things I never had before: Fried okra, collards and chicken & pastry. I also ordered sweet tea even though I usually get unsweetened tea. But I had to go all out! I also need to hit up Chic Fil A before I go! Speaking of other North Carolina experiences, I had my first traffic stop/license check thing a couple weeks ago. And also my first hurricane AND even an earthquake (which doesn't normally happen here).

What I am going to miss the most about the South:
  • The accent
  • The hospitality
  • The ocean (even though I'm not much of a beach person)
  • Charleston and Washington, D.C.
  • The food (in general)
  • Sheetz, Zaxby's and Bojangles
What I am NOT going to miss?
  • Hurricanes
  • Lack of snow
  • And particular to Greenville, the traffic
But I'm so glad we had the experience of living here. Now it's time to go back. And unfortunately, it's minus one person.

I have been thinking so much about what I want to do with my life. I have this overwhelming urge to help others. And I think the way I want to do that is through nursing. I've been toying with the idea of going to GRCC for an ADN (associate's degree in nursing) and hopefully finding employment in the field while continuing my education for the BSN. I have also thought about becoming a paramedic but, being a single mother of two, I need to be conscientious of pay and I would make more in nursing. And I could still work with trauma patients, which would give me that fast-paced, adrenaline-fueled environment similar to a paramedic's. But I am also interested in ICU and rehab. This obviously won't happen for some time yet. I need to figure out how I'm going to just establish the basic functions of a normal life first, lol.

I took two hours this afternoon to write out some nice, heartfelt notes to the SHP office. I never realized how closely with the public they actually worked, I mean in terms of how personal it can be. It's pretty intense... I guess especially in cases that involve a death. But they have been super kind and if you feel strongly enough, you should let people know you appreciate what they do. You just never know if you will have the chance tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment